Oral thrush or oropharyngeal candidiasis is a type of yeast infection that forms inside the tongue and the mouth. Candida albicans fungus is usually present in the mouth. Oral thrush develops when the immune system is not capable of maintaining its natural defense against fungus as it grows out of control.
The infection will result to slightly raised creamy-white lesions, usually found on the tongue or the inner part of the cheeks. If not properly treated, the condition can spread to the gums, mouth, tonsils or the back of the throat.
Causes of oral thrush
- The virus that causes AIDS damages or destroys cells of the immune system and causes repeated sessions of oral thrush and makes the body more susceptible to infections such as HIV.
- Suffering from cancer can result to weakening of the body and treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation increases the risk for Candida infections specifically oral thrush.
- Condition such as diabetes where the saliva contains large amounts of sugar can increase the risk for the growth of Candida.
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Smoking and wearing dentures that does not fit properly
- Suffering from dry mouth
- Taking birth control medications
- A sensation that a food gets embedded in the throat or middle chest area
- Pain and difficulty in swallowing
- Fever develops if the infection becomes severe which radiates beyond the esophagus. Oral thrush can spread to other parts of the body such as the skin, liver and lungs especially among those who have HIV, cancer and illnesses that cause weakening of the immune system.
- Gargle using salt water. In a cup filled with warm water, mix ½-1 teaspoon of salt until totally dissolved. Gargle this solution and then spew it out. The individual should repeat this procedure several times every day for best results. Another option is dash some salt on the tongue and inside the mouth and then rub the salt gently using the fingers for a few seconds. Rinse it out using warm water. Perform this remedy at least 2 times for a few days.
- Yogurt contains live cultures of lactobacilli species that helps in treating oral thrush. Yogurt also helps improve digestion. Consume 2-3 cups of yogurt every day for at least a few weeks. Another option is rubbing some yogurt on the tongue and inside of the mouth. Let it remain in the mouth for at least 5-10 minutes and then rinse using warm water. Perform this remedy 1-2 times every day for a few days.
- Apple cider vinegar has enzymes that helps lessen the risk for Candida infections. It also helps restore the pH level of the body in fighting the spread of yeast that cause infections. Mix 2 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar and half teaspoon of salt in a cup filled with warm water. You can utilize this solution in rinsing the mouth at least several times every day for best results. In a cup filled with warm water, add 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of raw honey and drink the solution at least 2 times every day.